Restrict by gender – detailed help

Home Forums Gwangi – Dating & Matchmaking Community Theme Popular Features Members Directory Restrict by gender – detailed help

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Olivier Cardoen 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

pio
    Participant
    • 4 Posts
    @pioconsuelo

I read the other tickets on the same issue https://support.themosaurus.com/forums/topic/restrict-directory-by-gender/

But, I cant seem to make it work.

I created a field “what are you looking for?”.

Current set-up:

What I’m looking for: Female (Checkbox)

Behavior that i want from above set up:
    1. Male can only see Females in the Members Page
    2. Male can only see Females in widgets: New Members, Online, Popular, Recently Active
    3. Male can only see Females in the Groups
    4. Male cant add view MAle profile.

This seems to be a basic requirement for a dating site. Would want to know how this is handled.

Please help.

Olivier Cardoen
    Participant
    • 382 Posts
    @themosaurusrex

Hi @pioconsuelo,

We do understand your feedback. Unfortunately, this restriction for the directory feature is not supported by BuddyPress and as many (many) implications that would require major custom changes on your website.

Unfortunately, there is no plugin or short snippet that you could install to add this feature to your website. We think that this feature requires custom development work.
    For one, we recommend you try to reach MeshPros and request a customization quote:

Request a Quote

These guys are the author of Match me for BuddyPress, a plugin that recommended to provide the matchmaking feature to your website. You might be already using it. They’ve quite a lot of experience with WordPress and BuddyPress development and might be better suited to help you.

If you’re on a tight budget, we recommend you to require the services from Envato Studio freelancers (https://studio.envato.com/explore/websites-programming). This web platform gives you access to developers who have already experience with theme customizations, and for very competitive prices.

Best,

pio
    Participant
    • 4 Posts
    @pioconsuelo

this issue was supported in https://support.themosaurus.com/forums/topic/restrict-directory-by-gender/,

I cant get the same level of support? please clarify

Olivier Cardoen
    Participant
    • 382 Posts
    @themosaurusrex

Hi @pioconsuelo,

In the past, our support policy wasn’t clear enough and sometimes, we used to share snippets to improve Gwangi user websites.

Unfortunately, experience has shown us that most of the time, this kind of request are very specific the users website and part of a customization service that we cannot provide as theme support. Those requests require a lot of back and forth comments to add new features that have ultimately never been shared with the rest of the community as new features in our product.

We’ve chosen to decline theme customization request to focus our effort in support and product improvement. So, you shouldn’t expect other snippets from us unless it’s to fix an issue stemming from our own codebase. We always try our best to help theme users whenever we can and only provide code snippets out of courtesy to prevent them from waiting for the next update.

Regards,

pio
    Participant
    • 4 Posts
    @pioconsuelo

thanks Olivier.

I understand that the feature is not in buddypress. However, it is a basic requirement for a dating site, which Gwangi is offering. It seems logical for Gwangi take ownership of this feature and not rely on BP, as you position the theme as a dating theme. I strongly suggest this feature in your road map, you will definitely win more customers as there is a gap in the market for this feature.

Olivier Cardoen
    Participant
    • 382 Posts
    @themosaurusrex

Hi @pioconsuelo,

Thank you for your suggestion. I do understand your viewpoint and where it’s coming from.

However, The features that you wish are OUTSIDE the scope of what we’re allowed to provide in a ThemeForest theme. Such heavily coded features like those you’re describing should be placed in a plugin, as they are part of what ThemeForest calls Plugin Territory:
    https://help.author.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000481223-WordPress-Theme-Plugin-Requirements#h_121074620161522301832182
    https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/the-concept-of-plugin-territory-in-wordpress–cms-25083

Unfortunately, ThemeForest authors have been forbidden to add plugin territory features in their theme since may 2019. Before, it was already a very discouraged practice. So, ThemeForest won’t allow us to do so even if we wanted to.

Furthermore, please note that your feature request is more related with the improvement of BuddyPress (maybe with the creation of new add-ons), not our theme. As theme authors, feature development for third party plugins isn’t part of the support we will provide.

To go further, we invite you to inform the plugin authors of your request on their support forums:
    https://buddypress.org/support/

You can still require custom development work and ask to your web developer to create the specific features that you want for your website.

We remain available to discuss new feature requests related with the use of your theme.

Thank you for understanding.

Best,

pio
    Participant
    • 4 Posts
    @pioconsuelo
    This reply has been marked as private.

Olivier Cardoen
    Participant
    • 382 Posts
    @themosaurusrex

You’re welcome. 🙂

Best regards,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Restrict by gender – detailed help’ is closed to new replies.