Support only during business hours : Monday to friday, from 8:30 am – 5:30 pm CEST

Due to the decrease in our staff due to vacations, our response time may be longer.

Be sure we're doing our best to manage your topic as soon as possible.

Grimlock update 1.04 breaks primary menu layout

This topic is resolved
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • 1 Topics
    • 4 Posts
    @rxb2038

Hi there,

I just updated to grimloock 1.04, and the pladement of the primary menu was broken right after i did.
    (Happily i had a backup)

Going back to 1.03 gave me back the layout of the menu on the right as it should be

just in case this is the custom CSS I added :

#bps_directory1369 p.description,#bps_directory205 p.description {display:none}
    #bps_directory1369 .checkbox label, #bps_directory205 .checkbox label {
        display: inline-block !important;
    	  margin-left:10px !important;
    }
    #bps_directory1369 .checkbox label:first-child, #bps_directory205 .checkbox label:first-child {
    	margin-left:0 !important;
    }
    #hero .bps-form-home .editfield .bps-custom-select select option {color:#eee}

As you can see nothing there related to the navigation bar, just some minor changes to the checkboxes layout in the buddypress forms

Themosaurus
    Keymaster
    Themosaurus Support
    • 1 Topics
    • 1675 Posts
    @themosaurus

Hi Eric,

We’re really sorry for your inconvenience.
    We also see that you’re still expecting a reply from us. And we thank you very much for your patience. ?

Actually, we’ve also updated Gwangi to fix this issue and to make your theme compatible with the latest version of Grimlock.
    So, you will only need to update your theme and everything should go back to normal.

The easiest way to update is to use the Envato Market plugin (https://envato.com/market-plugin/). You can download it and then install/activate it on your WordPress site.

Once the plugin is installed and activated, go to “Envato Market” in your admin menu and follow the instructions under “Activate Envato API Connection”.

When this is done, you will see your purchased themes under the “Themes” tab and you should be able to update your Gwangi theme from there by clicking the “Update available” button.

We hope this helps.

Regards,

Eric
    Participant
    • 1 Topics
    • 4 Posts
    @rxb2038

Hi, Thanks for the tip,
    Unfortunately I’m using one of the child themes (gwangi sensual) and those don’t update from Envato Plugin.

However I did manage to get the latest version of the child theme by re-downloading the “all files and documentation” from my downloads at envato, then reupload the child theme, including my modifications (language files, an action in function.php and a couple of tweaks in the buddypress members templates) and that did the trick.

In the future however you might mention that a grimlock update needs a theme (and childs) update in the release notes 🙂 (Yes I’m one of those fussy people who actually do read the release notes before updating, and backs up, just in case :))

Themosaurus
    Keymaster
    Themosaurus Support
    • 1 Topics
    • 1675 Posts
    @themosaurus

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your great feedback. ?
    You’re right, we should warn more our community members about breaking changes. In the future, we will warn about these changes in our changelogs.
    We’re also building an activity feed on this support website to let members know more news about what’s currently under development.

As a matter of fact, you’re also right about Envato Market. It doesn’t take child themes into account for updates. In a latest version, we’ve added a library to notify for new update and let users download them through the WP admin.
    So, as you’ve made changes to your child theme, please be aware of the fact that updating your theme this way will override your changes. We recommend you continue to update your child theme manually.
    Maybe another solution you might consider is creating a plugin to stash your overridden templates and your functions. This will be extra work but it will allow you to automatic updates through the admin.

Please rest assured that we’re well aware of your (standard) use of our child themes and looking to make the more changes possible into the parent theme. We’re also planning a major change to the child theme to minimize their future update frequency.

We’ll keep you updated.

Best,

Eric
    Participant
    • 1 Topics
    • 4 Posts
    @rxb2038

Hi,

Just a follow-up on that.
    I’m glad you took my advice about the change logs, those are a really helpful too. I myself work in a web agency, and we do a lot of our work with WordPress and various template. (This one however is for a personal project);

I’m well aware that your use of the child themes is a little uncommon, if neat because it provides several variation to chose from. But actually, why didn’t you make those variations as parent themes ? After all it wouldn’t have been that different to decline the main one into several parent variation (how you chose to market them after that, bundled or separate would be up to you), but that would provide people used to working with child themes a little more leeway into their use. (Myself, depending on projects, makes an heavy use of function.php, to adapt, override plugin functions, create dedicated search filters and so on. Of course I can write a dedicated plug in, but it’s just a tad more work, and may be just the extra mile I don’t want to go to 🙂 )

Happily, Gwangi does natively cover about all my needs on this project so far including the use of Tribe Events (though I do plan to add either directory pro or sabai directory (both from the same team), and I’m not quite sure what I’ll have to tweak for it yet to fit the theme:) In any case the use of a child theme without fear of having my changes broken by an update would certainly be a bonus 🙂

Just my 2 cents there. Gwangi is otherwise a great theme for its purpose (apart may be the .pot I’m still struggling with a couple of translation that don’t want to show but I’ll get there one way or another :))

Themosaurus
    Keymaster
    Themosaurus Support
    • 1 Topics
    • 1675 Posts
    @themosaurus

Hi Eric,

Once again, thank you for your very insightful reply.

Our decision to create such advanced child themes was based on the trends seen on WordPress.org and followed by WooThemes and other well established theme authors from “outside” of ThemeForest. The idea is that these theme authors will release a parent theme and sell different child themes. Our wish was to create an attractive theme package containing 1+4 themes for an unique price.
    However the risk was to limit those who wish to use their child themes to implement extra features, which is a best practice we follow ourselves when doing our client work.

So we’re taking your advice into account as we’re currently working on “Gorgo”, our second theme based on the same framework as Gwangi.

This next theme won’t be targeted towards a specific niche and demos will include style files to change the visual aspects, without using a child themes. In this case, users like you will be able to override templates and add custom code in their child themes without risking of losing their changes.

Finally, it’s always very important for us to read that a colleague has chosen Gwangi for a personal project. You probably have high quality standards and we’re pleased to read that our product is matching them. ?

All the best,

Eric
    Participant
    • 1 Topics
    • 4 Posts
    @rxb2038
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Themosaurus
    Keymaster
    Themosaurus Support
    • 1 Topics
    • 1675 Posts
    @themosaurus

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your complete and thoughtful feedback. This helps us to better understand the different expectations that the community may have. Indeed, it is necessary to know how to juggle between the different levels of WordPress users (beginner in IT vs. expert integrator).

For the translation files we will think carefully about your proposal for our next theme which seems legitimate.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Best regards,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Grimlock update 1.04 breaks primary menu layout’ is closed to new replies.

Troubleshooting Demo Imports

You're trying to setup your theme but you're experiencing errors when importing the demo content? Or you've just followed the setup guide but your website doesn't look exactly like our demo? These are common issues for which you can find easy and quick fixes.

Happy With our Support So Far?

Feel free to review our theme on Themeforest! It helps us making our products more known to new potential customers, which allow us more time to improve the quality and develop new features. #SharingIsCaring ❤️

Discover MatchPress

Skip • Like • Super-Like

Add powerful matching features like Member likes, skips, super likes, conditional private messaging and much more.

Setup Your Cera or Gwangi powered Community Website and Turn it into an iOS and Android App

15% discount for Cera users

To unleash the full power of your Cera or Gwangi theme, we have partnered with the Zipline team. Your community website can now be fully setup and turned into your very own custom app for iOS and Android.

Whether you've newly acquired the theme or already got your site up and running, Zipline got you covered. And we got you an incredible discount.

Holiday, Weather & Festive effects
to pimp your WordPress Site