Support only during business hours : Monday to friday, from 8:30 am – 5:30 pm CEST

Due to the decrease in our staff due to vacations, our response time may be longer.

Be sure we're doing our best to manage your topic as soon as possible.

Member/Forum Roles

This topic is resolved
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • 4 Topics
    • 13 Posts
    @darbiirue

Hey guys!

I have a question about member and forum roles. My website is a guild website for a World of Warcraft guild and thus we have quite a few players of different roles. I’d like to find a way to display this on the forum and in the members’ directory (or at least on their profile) and I’m wondering if there is a way of doing that. The roles that come with WordPress aren’t exactly worded the way I need them to be (Keymaster, etc.) so that my users understand their permissions.

Our roles would be:
    – Guild Leader
    – Officer
    – Recruiter
    – Veteran
    – Member
    – Initiate

Currently, the roles are set up as though this were a simple blog, and the names just don’t capture the feel we need for our site.

Any assistance on this would be more than welcome!

Manathan
    Keymaster
    Themosaurus Support
    • 0 Topics
    • 6288 Posts
    @themodactyl

Hi Darbii,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I think the member types is the most suitable solution. You can add the Member Types in Dashboard > Users > Member types. Be aware that this feature is managed by BuddyPress plugin. To know more about that, I think this article might catch your attention: Member Types.

Hope this will help you. 🙂

Best,

Darbii Rue
    Participant
    • 4 Topics
    • 13 Posts
    @darbiirue

Hi Manathan,

I appreciate you getting back to me. I noticed that this plugin, BuddyPress Member Types, seems to already be installed thus we have the Member Types available to us.

I watched the video presented there, and I have created member types and chosen to show them in the Members Directory, but those don’t seem to show up. There are no tabs, and the member types don’t display under the names of my users.

I’ve included a plethora of examples of how I have this setup (and it matches what they’ve done in the video). I’ve also included a screenshot from Erike’s question I noticed the other day because he somehow as managed to get it to show on his member directory (not sure if it shows on forums).

I know this is a bbPress/BuddyPress thing, but I don’t know if this is somehow a limitation of the theme that I will need to find some code for or something.

I do appreciate any help you can provide on this subject! Thank you!

Darbii Rue
    Participant
    • 4 Topics
    • 13 Posts
    @darbiirue

I’m happy to report that I’ve figured out how to get that information displayed in the Member’s Directory. However, the problem continues to persist Forum-sie. It shows a person as the WP Member Type, instead of BP Member Type, which is disappointing and I’ve found no way of getting around that so far. I’m still wondering if BuddyPress Member Types would solve that sort of thing, but I’m hesitant to spend $39 on another plugin if it doesn’t have that specific purpose that I’m looking for. I figure I’ll hold off and see if you know. If not, I’ll hit up their forums and see if they have further information on this specific thing.

Again, thank you for all of your help!

Manathan
    Keymaster
    Themosaurus Support
    • 0 Topics
    • 6288 Posts
    @themodactyl

Hi Darbii,

I’m glad to read you’ve been able to solve this.

Please note that the Member Types is a standard features with BuddyPress. You can learn a little more about that in this article: Managing Roles, Member Types and Groups with BuddyPress. However, the plugin you mentioned add additional functionalities. For exemple: to have Member Type tabs in the directory.

To display the Member Types in bbPress, I’m afraid I don’t have any solution. I suggest you to reach the bbPress authors as they might have a solution we don’t know of.

Don’t hesitate to share the solution with us. I’m sure it will help other users facing the same issue and we’re really curious to know how you could achieve this. By doing this, you’ll make a great contribution to this forum, and we thank you very much for that! #SharingIsCaring 💪🏻

Cheers,

Darbii Rue
    Participant
    • 4 Topics
    • 13 Posts
    @darbiirue

Thanks Manathan!

I reached out to them on their forum and we’ll see what they have to say. I’m really hoping that the plugin will be the answer to the equation. I don’t mind spending the $40 on it (in for a penny, in for a pound, you know) but I just want to make sure it’s going to do what I want.

I’ll reach back out with that information when I have it. 🙂

Manathan
    Keymaster
    Themosaurus Support
    • 0 Topics
    • 6288 Posts
    @themodactyl

I completely understand Darbii. 🙂

Thank you! Hope bbPress team will be able to help you quickly.

Cheers,

Roboraptor 🦖
Themosaurus Topic Closer

Hi there,

This topic has been inactive for a while now so we will be closing it to keep the forum tidy. Don't hesitate to create a new topic if you still need help and we'll be glad to help you!

Best regards,
The Themosaurus team.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Member/Forum Roles’ is closed to new replies.

Troubleshooting Demo Imports

You're trying to setup your theme but you're experiencing errors when importing the demo content? Or you've just followed the setup guide but your website doesn't look exactly like our demo? These are common issues for which you can find easy and quick fixes.

Happy With our Support So Far?

Feel free to review our theme on Themeforest! It helps us making our products more known to new potential customers, which allow us more time to improve the quality and develop new features. #SharingIsCaring ❤️

Discover MatchPress

Skip • Like • Super-Like

Add powerful matching features like Member likes, skips, super likes, conditional private messaging and much more.

Setup Your Cera or Gwangi powered Community Website and Turn it into an iOS and Android App

15% discount for Cera users

To unleash the full power of your Cera or Gwangi theme, we have partnered with the Zipline team. Your community website can now be fully setup and turned into your very own custom app for iOS and Android.

Whether you've newly acquired the theme or already got your site up and running, Zipline got you covered. And we got you an incredible discount.

Holiday, Weather & Festive effects
to pimp your WordPress Site